hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Regarding HTTPComponents functioning.
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 07:57:23 GMT
On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 20:55 -0700, Sachin Mehrotra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are actually trying to build our own full fledged HTTP Server using HTTP Components
APIs.
> Currently HTTO Core alone is not sufficient to fulfill our requirement that's why we
want to know to know whether in coming release of HTTP components will there be APIs to support
all the features of a HTTP Server. And also we want to put our own SSL implementation so will
there be anything to support that.

> Thanks,
> Sachin

Sachin,

We are precluded from building a light-weight HTTP server implementation
by the project charter due to political reasons. This is the reason why
we are mainly focusing on developing core and client-side HTTP
components for the time being.

Development of a custom SSL engine is clearly out of the project scope.
Besides, none of us is a cryptography expert to begin with. Why would
you want to develop a full-blown SSL engine in the first place?

There is another thing I would like to mention. If your development
efforts are backed and funded by a commercial company, another
possibility would be to build missing server-side components in house
and to contribute them back to the project.

Cheers

Oleg