hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] HTTP parameters was Re: [HttpConn] test coverage
Date Sat, 26 May 2007 14:05:36 GMT
Hi Oleg,

let's try it with small steps.

Step 1:
Create AbstractHttpParams with all the type specific
setters and getters. Reduce BasicHttpParams to a map
and the copy functionality.

Step 2:
Declare set/getDefaults as internal and not part of
the official API. I'd prefer not to introduce an
optional interface at this time, since we'd have to
add a typecast whereever setDefaults() is called.
I get more than a dozen matches when grepping.

Step 3:
Remove the setDefaults() in HttpRequestExecutor.
Since we're initializing the context outside of the
executor, another line for the parameters shouldn't
matter much.

At this point, we should have the flexibility to
work out alternative schemes for dealing with
parameter hierarchies.

I currently lean toward creating a hierarchy when
a parameterized object is passed to the API, and
then leaving them unchanged. For example, when the
request is passed to HttpClient, it's parameters
are taken out and replaced with a hierarchy. After
that, the parameter hierarchy remains unchanged.
Things are less obvious for connection manager
and connection parameters.

What do you think?

cheers,
  Roland