hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents] Going TLP
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 20:49:41 GMT
Hello Oleg,

see the definition of the roles in Apache:
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#roles

Committer:
...are actually making short-term decisions for the project.

PMC:
The PMC as a whole is the entity that controls the project...

My coding frenzy earlier this year and the subsequent
build process dispute have given me both reason and
opportunity to reconsider my involvement in this project.
We got along much better recently for one simple reason:
I am restricting myself to short-term decisions. I think
it all took a wrong turn when I became a PMC and started
to care about "Jakarta as a whole". But even with Jakarta
out of the picture, there remains one simple fact:
The two of us are in constant disagreement.

On the coding level, I feel that we get along great.
We exchange our ideas, pick them up, reconsider, make
small steps, and so on. In the end, we have something
that is better than either of us would have achieved
on his own. (or so I think :-)
On the project level, this does not work. We keep
modules in a component, or we don't. We have a build
process that covers all of the code, or we don't.
There is no compromise. The Apache Way is clear:
Meritocracy. If you want to see things go your way,
put in more work. But my time is limited, and I am
still spending more of it than I want to. So I decided
to care much less about things beyond the coding level.
And I believe this is, in the long run, not compatible
with being on a PMC. I'm staying on the Jakarta PMC
to see HttpComponents out, but that's it.

This would not be a problem for me if there were more
people involved and we could get majority decisions.
But that is not the case. Time and again, it is you
and me and nobody else. I am sick and tired of these
stalemate discussions that eat up my time and raise
my frustration level without leading anywhere. If I
see more people actively involved, I might reconsider
this decision. But as things are now, I will not put
myself into more heads-up situations with you.

> Active committer MUST be a PMC member.

I remember that Henri voice his _opinion_ that all
committers _should_ be PMC. That may even have been
the opinion of the board. But I don't remember seeing
that written down as a binding rule for either Apache
or Jakarta. PMCs set their own rules of course, and
so can the HttpComponents PMC if we go TLP.

If being a committer requires being PMC, I will
provide patches for JIRA issues and let somebody
else do the commits. I am not looking for ways to
spend more time on this project, or to take more
responsibility for it. Quite the opposite is true.

cheers,
  Roland