hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] HTTP parameters was Re: [HttpConn] test coverage
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 20:06:05 GMT
Hi Oleg, all,

I've had some more thoughts about getting rid of
HttpParams.setDefaults(). Keeping the hierarchy
in separate objects is not a problem. But the
common uses of this method are:

   request.getParams().setDefaults(params); // client side
   response.getParams().setDefaults(params); // server side

In order to mimic this behavior, the params object
in the req/rsp needs to be replaced with the
object representing the hierarchy. The latter is
not an idempotent operation, although that should
matter only in case of a retry.
The options I see are:

a) just replace params with the hierarchy
   and live with non-idempotency
b) ugly instanceof checks to ensure idempotency
c) leave the API as it is and declare the method
  "for internal use only" or, as the Eclipse
   community might put it,"soft private"

Please let me know what you think. I'm undecided
between a and c.

cheers,
  Roland