hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents] Going TLP
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 19:44:13 GMT
Hi Oleg and all,

the TLP proposal template is in the committers-only
section of SVN:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/private/committers/board/templates/subproject-tlp-resolution.txt

While the discussion about Jakarta vs. Commons may wage on
for weeks or months, it is indeed obvious that there is no
point in sitting it out. Even keeping up with the discussion
takes hours.
I think it will be another year or so until we really know
where HttpComponents are heading. NIO has attracted new
folks, if Client 4.0 does the same it makes sense to be TLP.
I had hoped to stay under the Jakarta umbrella until this
is clear. Moving to WS until we know for sure means double
work if we go TLP. So it's a bet on the future.
I can't find the mail anymore, but I dimly remember that
somebody (Henri? Martin?) wrote that going TLP is really
not much more effort than preparing the proposal, get a
vote passed, and then start writing your board reports.
Everything else is decided by the new PMC afterwards. There
will be some organizational effort of course, like setting
up new permissions and a private@ mailing list.

Making the decision based on the number of supporters
sounds like a good idea. I would also feel better if
there is at least one ASF member on board. I will join
the new project as committer, but not on the PMC.

cheers,
  Roland