hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Request wrapper vs request copy ; was Re: svn commit: r535512
Date Sat, 12 May 2007 15:51:57 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> We may still need to introduce request wrappers in order to be able to
> discard all request headers generated by the protocol interceptors when
> dealing with request redirects, for instance. As an alternative to that
> we may also think about creating a complete copy of the original request
> if it gets redirected to a new location. However, there can be other
> cases where we may want to discard auto-generated request headers
> without changing any other properties of the request such as request
> URI.

I still feel that discarding auto-generated headers is insufficient
(beyond alpha). Think of an interceptor that folds separate headers
with identical names into one, or that splits such headers into many.
Think of another interceptor in a proxy application that inserts an
entry into a Via: header.
A copy technique would have to create the copy _before_ the request
gets modified and sent. We couldn't tell whether there will be a
redirect or not. Let's keep the "delete auto-generated headers" trick
for alpha1 and think about alternatives later.

cheers,
  Roland