hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] HTTP parameters was Re: [HttpConn] test coverage
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 16:35:09 GMT
On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 18:02 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> >> - HttpParams.setDefaults: get rid of (subject to review)
> >
> > Hhm. That would quite a major change. If we do away with ability to
> > chain HTTP parameter objects into hierarchies
>
> I didn't plan to get rid of the hierarchies altogether.
> I just want to make them an internal structure that can
> not be messed up by clients calling .setDefaults() or
> passing their own hierarchies into the API.
> BasicHttpParams would become non-hierarchical, while
> StackedHttpParams or some such class keeps a list of
> two or three HttpParams to search for a value. I need
> some time to scan the code for places where hierarchies
> are used and to assess the impact of the change.

Sounds reasonable.

Actually we may also need stackable HttpContexts too. Currently the way
to customize the process of HTTP request execution is to pass a custom
instance of HttpContext to HttpClient#execute method. The trouble is,
though, the default protocol interceptors expect quite a number of
objects (attributes) to be bound to the context. What if the user wants
to override the default HttpState instance only without having to mess
around with all other attributes? There is a few options to achieve the
desired effect, one of which would be to 'stack' contexts in some way
thus allowing the custom context to draw upon the values set in the
default context, if they are not set locally in the custom context.

Just something to think about.

Oleg