hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents] artifact Ids (Jakarta no more)
Date Mon, 21 May 2007 16:00:12 GMT
On Mon, 2007-05-21 at 17:49 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > Given the uncertainty surrounding the future of Jakarta I would like
> > jakarta prefix dropped from all HttpComponents artifact ids (and from
> > pom.xml altogether). This can potentially ease the transition of the
> > project to another TLP (be it Web Services or a new TLP).
>
> Artifact IDs are global, right?

I believe only GroupID + ArtifactID combination is expected to be
unique.

> So if we drop jakarta from them, we
> don't have a distinguishing element from potential httpcomponents in
> other programming languages anymore. Can we insert a -java or -j?
>
> httpcomponents-j-core
> httpcomponents-j-nio
> httpcomponents-j-niossl
>
> That should last for some decades, until somebody invents a new
> programming language called J. I read about D today, and I dimly
> remember having read about E some years ago...

I am not aware of Maven POMs being used by (or being useful for) any
non-JVM based languages. And I am not really worried about someone
wanting to start an HttpCore implementation in Ruby within ASF. I am
more worried about unwieldy and cryptic package names. I think we can
safely assume 'org.apache.httpcomponents.httpcore*' namespace is unique
enough.

> > The 'situation' with Jakarta is getting truly grotesque
>
> I didn't notice any change lately ;-)

Good point ;-)

Oleg