hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: FW: HttpClient authentication problem.
Date Sun, 20 May 2007 19:19:56 GMT
On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 17:11 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 20/05/07, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:
> > Hi Oleg, Sebastian, all,
> >
> > > I _personally_ find the requirement of conditional compilation of LGPL
> > > dependent code too restrictive and complicating the release process,
> >
> > I agree, in particular if that should mean we can't release binaries
> > with NTLM support built in. But the conditional compilation is a
> > _Jakarta_ policy, not an Apache one. Let's see where we are a year
> > from now.
> >
> > sebb wrote:
> > > Quote:
> > >
> > > "Therefore, LGPL v2.1-licensed works must not be included in Apache
> > > products, although they may be listed as system requirements or
> > > distributed elsewhere as optional works."
> > >
> > > Seems to me that it should not be too difficult to make JCIFS an
> > > optional work.
> >
> > As I understand it, optional work would refer to hosting a separate
> > project elsewhere and using the LGPL for that. HttpAuth-NTLM or such.
>
> AIUI, it's not necessary to create an independent external project to
> merely to wrap libraries that cannot be included in distributions.
>
> For example, JMeter depends optionally on JavaMail - it will work
> without it, but some functions are disabled.

Sebastian,

The main sticking point is whether we are allowed to ship code that
imports LGPL licensed classes as a part of the main binary distribution
or the users will have to download the source distribution, rebuild the
whole damn thing with --allow-some-lgpl-stuff flag or some such in order
to enable an optional feature. If latter is the case I _personally_ see
the whole LGPL policy pointless and would rather favor hosting JCIFS
dependent code outside ASF.

Oleg