hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Handling content-transfer-encoding encoding and multipart requests with httpcomponents
Date Sat, 07 Apr 2007 02:17:38 GMT
Hi,

I am writing this as a followup to

    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FILEUPLOAD-131

This issue request is about handling content-transfer-encoding with
commons-fileupload.

In this request, Oleg Kalnichevski explains:

> I doubt HttpCore would be of any use here, as it does not (and is not supposed to)
> provide any content codecs. You probably may want to take a closer look at
> Commons Codec, which provides two content transfer codecs mentioned in
> RFC1521: quoted-printable and base64. Some efforts will have to spent on
> getting those codecs to work with I/O streams, though.

I have studied the charta of the HttpComponents and find this
statement most possibly caused by the following sentence:

    Jakarta HttpComponents MUST be content agnostic. The project DOES NOT
    develop components intended to produce or consume content of HTTP messages.

I would like to ask to rethink this opinion, at least partially:The
httpclient project provides support for creation of multipart
requests. This support is still content agnostic, apart from the fact
that a very widespread packaging mechanism is used.

IMO, the server side should at least support the same level that the
client side does. The content encoding and, in particular, the
content-transfer-encoding cannot be viewed as independent from the
HTTP protocol. Supporting typical cases like multipart/form-data
should at least be provided as a sample implementation.

If you cannot agree with my opinion, I'd like to ask how you would
handle such cases like multipart parsing in your own code. What MIME
or other libraries would you use or recommend?

Thanks,

Jochen

--
My cats know that I am a loser who goes out for hunting every day
without ever returning as much as a single mouse. Fortunately, I've