hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Fooooooood fight! was Re: [HttpAuth] HTTP authentication framework ported from 3.1 to 4.0
Date Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:18:52 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> If you are referring to commit r514774 I thought the technical reasons
> were fairly clear: (1) we are not shipping contrib code with the
> official distribution, so what is the point to reference it in the build
> file? It just makes it messier

It hasn't hurt anyone so far, has it?

> (2) for the love of Lord what's wrong
> with having a local copy of the build script that exactly what you want
> the way you want?

Yepp, I should have thought about that last year when I set out to
rework the build process so that I would not have to maintain a
second one locally. Beginner's mistake. Now I can't use the build process
as it was, because the default build.xml filename is occupied. If I put
anything into the directory tree, it will inevitably end up in svn through
an accidental commit. Never mind, I should be able to hack something up
within two or three hours. It's just that I wouldn't have spent time on
the official build process last year if I had known that I wouldn't be
able to use it for my purposes.
My main issue with this change was that it feels pretty disrespectful if
almost half of your everyday build targets are removed without an advance
warning and discussion. (Not that I would have been able to put that in
words at the time. Then, it just hurt.) Besides, until you mentioned it
before the last release, I was assuming that we did include the full
Java directories, including contrib code, in the source distribution. I
never cared to check for the presence of individual subdirectories before.

> Please lighten up, Roland. There is no evil Russian conspiracy here

I'll be pondering that for some time. You'll know that I got over it
when I fix the JavaDoc warnings in core.

cheers,
  Roland