hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: Handling content-transfer-encoding encoding and multipart requests with httpcomponents
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2007 19:35:30 GMT

Roland Weber wrote:
>> Javax.mail might be an alternative. Indeed, Geronimo is even providing an
>> implementation within the ASF. Can anyone advice me, whether MIME encoding
>> within emails and in HTTP messages can be mapped 1:1?

MIME was originally specified for email. That's why it is called
"Multipurpose Internet *Mail* Extension". See RFC 2045.

The only requirement of MIME to the transport level is that it must
provide a possibility to transport the toplevel MIME meta information:
MIME version, the content type and the boundary string. Both SMTP and
HTTP embed this into their respective headers. Other than that I know of
no protocol specifics. A MIME implementation should leave this link to
its transport protocol up to the caller, to not restrict the use of the
library to a certain protocol.

Odi