hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpConnectionParams
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:17:41 GMT
On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 12:54 +0100, Bob Arnott wrote:
> Is there a reason why HttpConnectionParams doesn't extend BasicHttpParams?
> I'm having a play and am trying to create a HTTP Server based on the
> non-blocking example.
>
> I've been trying to use Spring to inject all the necessary bits together,
> but I see no way of creating a HttpParams object. The reason for this is
> all the setX methods on HttpConnectionParams take a HttpParams object. Also,
> all the methods on BasicHttpParams take two properties as well, i.e. key +
> value, so I can't do:

Bob,

This issue has been discussed before. Please see this thread for some
background info:

http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/httpcomponents-dev@jakarta.apache.org/5874226.html

> <bean id="connectionParams" class="org.apache.http.params.HttpConnectionParams">
>    <property name="soTimeout"            value="5000" />
>    <property name="socketBufferSize"     value="8192" />
>    <property name="staleCheckingEnabled" value="false" />
>    <property name="tcpNoDelay"           value="true" />
> </bean>
>
> Which I can in HttpClient:
>
> <bean id="httpClient" class="org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient">
>    <constructor-arg>
>      <bean class="org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager">
>        <property name="params">
>          <bean class="org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HttpConnectionManagerParams">
>            <property name="defaultMaxConnectionsPerHost" value="10" />
>            <property name="maxTotalConnections"          value="20" />
>            <property name="connectionTimeout"            value="7000" />
>            <property name="linger"                       value="-1" />
>            <property name="receiveBufferSize"            value="4096" />
>            <property name="sendBufferSize"               value="4096" />
>            <property name="soTimeout"                    value="900000" />
>            <property name="staleCheckingEnabled"         value="true" />
>            <property name="tcpNoDelay"                   value="true" />
>          </bean>
>        </property>
>      </bean>
>    </constructor-arg>
>    <property name="params">
>      <bean class="org.apache.commons.httpclient.params.HttpClientParams">
>        <property name="connectionManagerTimeout" value="10000" />
>        <property name="contentCharset"           value="UTF-8" />
>      </bean>
>    </property>
> </bean>
>

> Are there any plans to provide for this kind of functionality, or am I going
> to have to write my own implementation of HttpParams...?

Absolutely. I for one would love to be able to assemble HTTP services
out of HttpComponents using Spring DI framework. Initialization of
HttpParams is probably the only non-trivial problem that needs to be
resolved to make that feasible. Please see this Jira ticker for some
ideas about possible solutions:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCORE-37

Please let me know if you need some more input on the subject.

Oleg