hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpComponents and the coming end of Jakarta
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:43:53 GMT
On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 13:48 +0100, sebb wrote:
> Much the same applies to JMeter, except that it would be difficult to
> see it as a Commons component, and I'm not keen on JMeter leaving ASF.
>
> There was a proposal a while back to create a Testing TLP, but I could
> not see the point of moving at the time so I did not try to make that
> happen (but equally did not veto it).
>
> Since JMeter uses Httpclient, and both projects are alive but have few
> developers, maybe there is some way we can help each other out?
>
> Sebastian

Hi Sebastian

I personally see Commons' move to TLP as a rather shortsighted and
awkward ways of forcing POI out of Jakarta and ORO and Regexp into
Commons. It reminds me too much of events I have been firsthand witness
to, and the way short term gains can easily turn into huge long term
losses. But so be it.

I can offer you a helping hand with the JMeter's move out of Jakarta
either to a TLP of its own or to Testing TLP, and probably some hacking
on HTTP related stuff or migration to Maven2. To free up some bandwidth
for this work, though, I think I should finally make good on my promises
and to discontinue any hands-on involvement in development of the
Commons HttpClient 3.x code line (barring fixing critical bugs). This
also means some one else will have to step up to assume the role of the
RM for Commons HttpClient 3.1 henceon.

Oleg