hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject HttpComponents and the coming end of Jakarta
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2007 12:21:11 GMT
Mike, Odi, Roland and all

It appears we have some really tough decisions forced upon us. It looks
quite probable that Jakarta Commons will become a TLP in the very near
future, which implies it is just a matter of time the remaining projects
of Jakarta will be forced to choose whether they want to go TLP or to
die. We all know in its present form the project is unlikely to be
viable as a TLP. So, we basically have just a few options, all seem
ugly.

(1) Attempt to go TLP and risk the possibility of never becoming viable
as a TLP.

engineering to hit us.

(3) Seek a new home elsewhere within ASF. Curiously enough our largest
and the most active user base within ASF appears to be the Webservices
TLP, not Jakarta.

(4) Pretend nothing is happening and hope this whole hooplah will fade
away the same way Jakarta Silk did.

(5) Pull the plug. Do something else like raising pigeons or something.

Evil Comrade Oleg