hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Anders Wallgren" <and...@electric-cloud.com>
Subject RE: [HttpClient] Logging wars revisited
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 17:18:41 GMT
I'm leaning towards SLF4J for our own projects, though it bugs me that
it doesn't provide trace or fatal levels (or custom levels).

anders

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Saturday, March 17, 2007 4:24 AM
To: HttpComponents Project
Subject: [HttpClient] Logging wars revisited

Folks,

According to the recent discussions on the Commons-Dev list it appears
that Commons Logging is not going to be actively developed further, JCL
2.0 is very unlikely to happen and those projects that rely on Java 1.4
or newer are advised to migrate to java.util.logging API.

http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Commons-Logging-deprecated--was-Re%
3A--logging--1.1.1-release--p9427138.html

That poses a question whether we should revisit our decision to continue
using JCL for HttpClient 4.0 or should consider migrating to another
logging toolkit.

My personal preference for JCL over SLF4J was based on the premise (1)
we ought to eat our own dog food (2) JCL was actively developed. Since
that no longer appears to be the case I am not sure sticking to JCL in
the long run gives us any benefits.

How do you all feel about it? Shall we once again discuss our options
and reconsider the choice of a logging toolkit for HttpClient 4.0?

Please make your opinion known

Evil Comrade Oleg

PS: All this makes me very happy HttpCore is not dependent on any
logging toolkit