hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Logging wars revisited
Date Sun, 18 Mar 2007 15:16:14 GMT

Michael Becke wrote:
> Regarding JCL I wonder if a lack of active development is an issue for
> us.  As Simon states in his email there are no known bugs and no
> outstanding feature requests.  JCL is basically done.

Exactly. Despite widespread criticism I consider JCL quite good for the job.

> I'm guessing it
> will still be supported where necessary, but not much support is
> necessary for a project with no bugs and no plans for future
> development.
>
> The bigger question is the one that Odi brings up I think.  What are
> our "clients" going to use?  If consumers of HttpClient are all moving
> to SLF4J or java.util.logging then it might make sense for us to
> switch.

Well, with JCL we already support java.util.logging as an underlying
implementation. java.util.logging is NOT an alternative for JCL. But
SLF4J might be.

The question for us boils down to
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-416

Maybe reopen.