hc-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Bezdek <bezd...@yahoo.com>
Subject Detecting Whether Authentication Was Successful
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 22:57:26 GMT
Hi Everyone,

I am new to HttpClient, and I can't find any source on the proper way of authenticating when
I am trying to login to a site that has a login form.

Basically, I can login using post method, but I can't find any source that tells me what response
code should be returned in order for me to be sure that the authentication has succeeded.
 I don't really care what the server does after authentication (for exampale if I get redirected
or not), all I want to know is that I am logged in.  Someone suggested that the standard way
is to use the Head method first to make sure authentication would succeed.  In any case, could
someone please tell me what the common way of doing the authentication is?  I don't need details,
just a step-by-step outline of what to do and what response code I should expect.

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Dan Bezdek

Never miss an email again!