hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.0 ALPHA4 release
Date Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:34:12 GMT
> On Tue, 2007-03-20 at 11:00 +0000, sebb wrote:
> > Good idea.
> >
> > AIUI, you don't actually need a vote to create a tag and do a build;
> > only to formally approve a release before it is copied to the
> > distribution directory.
> >
> > Once you have the release files ready, you may well find that there
> > are more people prepared to add a +1.
> >
> > Sebastian.
>
> Hi Sebastian
>
> I feel deeply uncomfortable about the idea of creating release tags
> *prior to* a formal vote for several reasons (the main being the version
> tag in Maven's pom.xml). Would it be okay if I created a pre-release
> snapshot build and held a vote on it?

Sorry, but the vote needs to be held on the actual files to be
released - AIUI that is the whole point.

I don't myself see a problem with creating a release tag (especially
for a release such as ALPHA4) prior to the release vote.

Create the tag, build everything and ask for the vote. If it passes -
OK, if not, you may need to create ALPHA5 and repeat.

Tags are cheap in SVN.

S.