hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpClient] Logging wars revisited
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 14:09:47 GMT
On Sat, 2007-03-17 at 13:35 +0100, Ortwin Gl├╝ck wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> That's interesting news.
> In my opinion we should offer our users the best possible compatibility
> and interoperability. That means if the world uses JCL we should use it
> as well. HttpClient is, after all, just yet another library. I think we
> do best if we use the same logging toolkit that our most prominent and
> most important users are using: Axis, JBoss, HtmlUnit etc. We should
> avoid using an exotic logging toolkit.
>
> Odi

Hi Odi,

Trends do change once in a while, though. The java.util.logging can
hardly be seen as exotic nowadays. Besides, with JCL not being actively
developed the uptake of SLF4J may increase, especially for by new
projects. Anyways, we have time to consider our options until HttpClient
4.0 goes BETA1 ;-)

Meanwhile I'll hack up some logging decorators for HttpClient interfaces
based on JCL.

Cheers

Oleg