hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Bindul Bhowmik" <bindulbhow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient 3.1 (final) release?
Date Sun, 18 Feb 2007 21:36:44 GMT
Roland,

On 2/18/07, Roland Weber <http-async@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hello Bindul,
>
> > An email on the user thread[1][2] got me thinking. Would it be worth
> > to add the <code>shutdown()</code> method to the HttpConnectionManager
> > interface? Two of the three implementations of the interface already
> > support the shutdown method.
>
> Which is the third one? I know only of SimpleHCM and MultiThreadedHCM.
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/apidocs/org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpConnectionManager.html

There is DummyConnectionManager - an inner class of ProxyClient.

Besides, there are three implementations in the test cases -
TimeoutHttpConnectionManager (an inner class of
TestIdleConnectionTimeout), AccessibleHttpConnectionManager (a
subclass of SimpleHttpConnectionManager) and
NoHostHttpConnectionManager.

> > I understand that this might break compatibility for applications
> > which have implemented their own connection managers. So, if the
> > method is introduced, is it worth getting into 3.1 or should it be
> > deffered until 4.0?
>
> I don't think this is worth breaking compatibility. Applications will
> typically deal with only one type of connection manager, so casting
> from the interface to the implementation should be acceptable. Or
> keeping the connection manager in an attribute with the class type.
>
> HttpConn 4.0 will have shutdown() in the connection manager interface.

Agree.

> cheers,
>   Roland

Regards,