hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: HttpClient 3.1 (final) release?
Date Sun, 18 Feb 2007 17:54:20 GMT
Hello Bindul,

> An email on the user thread[1][2] got me thinking. Would it be worth
> to add the <code>shutdown()</code> method to the HttpConnectionManager
> interface? Two of the three implementations of the interface already
> support the shutdown method.

Which is the third one? I know only of SimpleHCM and MultiThreadedHCM.
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/apidocs/org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpConnectionManager.html

> I understand that this might break compatibility for applications
> which have implemented their own connection managers. So, if the
> method is introduced, is it worth getting into 3.1 or should it be
> deffered until 4.0?

I don't think this is worth breaking compatibility. Applications will
typically deal with only one type of connection manager, so casting
from the interface to the implementation should be acceptable. Or
keeping the connection manager in an attribute with the class type.

HttpConn 4.0 will have shutdown() in the connection manager interface.

cheers,
  Roland