hc-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Lipkis <...@pss.com>
Subject Re: [HttpConn][HttpClient] status update
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 17:08:44 GMT
> We should modify that action, switching the stream
> into an EOF mode where the underlying connection is no longer
> blocked, but no IOExceptions are triggered either. I'll open
> a JIRA issue for that.

Thanks!

> Regarding the tolerance debate, maybe we can add a "zero tolerance"
> mode to the connection managers in HttpConn 4. One that shuts down
> the JVM if a connection leak is detected. I'll keep it in mind.

If you do this, please allow the application to decide what happens if
the condition is detected.  In testing, I might want to exit, but in
production, exiting the JVM is a bit extreme.

One tool I use to help locate unclosed streams is in
http://lockss.cvs.sourceforge.net/lockss/lockss-daemon/src/org/lockss/util/MonitoringInputStream.java?revision=1.4&view=markup
It records a stack trace when the stream is opened, which it logs iff
the stream is GCed without having been closed.

Tom