hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Performance of stale connection check
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:17:39 GMT
On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 15:42 -0500, andrew.adamov@thomson.com wrote:
> Oleg,
>
> > I find this a little extreme. My recommendation was always to disable
> > the stale connection check and to provide a robust request retry
> handler
> > instead. A production quality application must be prepared to deal
> with
> > and gracefully recover from all sort of I/O failures _anyways_, so
> what
> > is the point in treating I/O failures due to stale connections somehow
> > differently?
>
> I think the fundamental point is encapsulation.  HTTP library users
> should not be burdened with details and complexities of internal
> connection pooling/management implementation.  Unlike other I/O errors,
> stale connections are not really failures, they are expected normal
> internal events that will occur very often, so they should be handled
> automatically and transparently by HTTP library.  These are the same
> reasons why TCP libraries transparently handle packet retransmission
> instead of pushing this responsibility to all clients.

Hi Andrew,

I can't disagree with that, but sometimes real life requires certain
compromises to be made. I still think there are better ways of dealing
with the problem than the stale connection check approach.

> BTW: when do you expect 1st alpha of HttpClient 4.0? :-)
> Thanks.

It is likely to happen around the late April to mid May time frame.
Anyways, HttpCore, the low level HTTP components suite HttpClient 4.0
will be based on, it already available and is quite usable. You may want
to take a look at HttpCore until the first alpha of HttpClient 4.0
becomes available.

Cheers

Oleg