hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SessionRequest, SessionRequestCallback and other nio stuff...
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 17:29:42 GMT
On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 17:38 +0100, Stojce Dimski wrote:
> Hi Oleg,

Hi Stojce,

> If your intention was to terrorize me about nio approach you can
> consider it done ;-)

You overestimate the power of the Dark Side in this particular instance.
It was not my intention to scare you into using the blocking I/O
model.

> Main reason to go with nio is to be as light as possible on my server,
> and having probably 6-700 concurrent users nearly all with 'keep-alive'
> during the office hours would give me a thread-per-connection problems
> with blocking approach...
> But after yours '13 steps on roundtrip to hell' I a considering some
> different approaches...

Do not give up too soon. In your particular case NIO does make sense and
it is worth investing some efforts into it.

> 1) What do you think about having nio server and handling client side
> in a blocking fashion ?
>
> 2) To have a reactor listen on few addresses do I have to invoke
> several listen(address) requests ?

My gut tells me that any hybrid solution will combine the drawbacks of
both models (complexity of NIO + limited scalability of BIO) without
giving benefits of either.

You may want to reduce the complexity of the problem domain somewhat and
hack up a simple NIO based HTTP server first, get the hang of the API,
and then move onto a more complex problem.

Meanwhile, as soon as I have the SSL support for HttpCore NIO dealt
with, I'll try to put together a simple proxy to be used as a reference
material. Do not take this as a promise, though.

Cheers

Oleg