hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpMethods
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:17:26 GMT
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 16:56 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hello Stojce,
>
> > What is the reason for supporting just GET, POST, HEAD methods in httpCore ?
>
> We're supporting all methods in core. We have convenience classes for a few,
> because those are most frequently needed and Oleg felt like having a few
> convenience classes for people to get started. We may add the rest when we
> get around to it. If you need for example a HEAD request now, just call
> 	new BasicHttpRequest("HEAD", uri)
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Yep, Evil Russians are to blame for that too. GET, POST, HEAD are by far
the most used HTTP methods, so I felt we should provide convenience
classes for them out of the box. Having said that, we are very likely to
need a more complex HTTP methods framework in HttpClient, which may
provide additional support for the request URI manipulation and ability
to abort method execution and what not. In that case we may either
deprecate / remove their counterparts from HttpCore or rename them to
something like BasicHttpGet, BasicHttpPost, etc.

Evil Comrade Oleg