hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject [HttpConn] manager (was: time for review)
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2007 21:26:45 GMT
Roland Weber wrote:

> I'll try to get some work done on the connection manager this weekend.

I can already tell that I won't have much to show this weekend.
The integration of the connection manager with the garbage collector
by means of some static maps and weak references is a nightmare to
understand for a newcomer. I don't even know whether I should spend
the time to understand it in detail or whether I should just rip it
out, implement something that manages connections using the current
algorithm, and think about the GC stuff afterwards.
I am _very_ suspicious of those global maps. They prevent completely
independent instances, and that smells like non-scalability. Some
of the shutdown code relies on those maps, too. Looks like the
manager does not explicitly track the connections it hands out and
rather scans a global map of all connections to find those for which
it is responsible. I cannot even tell how wrong this feels to me.
But _maybe_ I just read the code wrong.

cheers,
  Roland