hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject NIO: epoll
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 18:29:31 GMT
Oleg,

Does the stuff below sound interesting? Could it speed up the NIO
implementation compared to blocking IO on Linux?

Odi

 From the JDK-1.5.0_10 release notes at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html#150_10

"Support for epoll

The Linux downloads of this update release include an implementation of
java.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider that is based on the epoll I/O
event notification facility. The epoll facility is available in the
Linux 2.6 kernel, and is more scalable than the traditional poll system
call. This epoll-based implementation may improve the performance of
server applications that use the New I/O API and that register hundreds
of channels with a selector. For more information, refer to the epoll(4)
and poll(2) man pages.

The epoll-based implementation of SelectorProvider is not selected by
default. To select it, specify a property value from the command line as
follows:

java
-Djava.nio.channels.spi.SelectorProvider=sun.nio.ch.EPollSelectorProvider
"