hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpConn] manager (was: time for review)
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:03:33 GMT
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 22:26 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Roland Weber wrote:
>
> > I'll try to get some work done on the connection manager this weekend.
>
> I can already tell that I won't have much to show this weekend.
> The integration of the connection manager with the garbage collector
> by means of some static maps and weak references is a nightmare to
> understand for a newcomer. I don't even know whether I should spend
> the time to understand it in detail or whether I should just rip it
> out, implement something that manages connections using the current
> algorithm, and think about the GC stuff afterwards.
> I am _very_ suspicious of those global maps. They prevent completely
> independent instances, and that smells like non-scalability. Some
> of the shutdown code relies on those maps, too. Looks like the
> manager does not explicitly track the connections it hands out and
> rather scans a global map of all connections to find those for which
> it is responsible. I cannot even tell how wrong this feels to me.
> But _maybe_ I just read the code wrong.

Roland,

Mike put a lot of hard work into the multithreaded connection manager.
To this point it still constitutes the most significant and complex
contribution to the project. Even though it does look like some kind of
black magic MTHCM has been working really well for us. I urge you to not
start taking it apart until we have enough test coverage to test for
regressions. Let's just get it working with the new API and then see
what could be improved.

Oleg