hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: http-core proxy server
Date Sat, 20 Jan 2007 18:21:22 GMT
On Sat, 2007-01-20 at 18:40 +0100, Stojce Dimski wrote:
> Hi Oleg, Roland and other submitters. I would like to ask some advice
> about http-core.
> For my current project I need to build a http/s proxy server with
> following requirements
> 1) after serving the request need full read-only access to
> request/response (status,header,content)
> 2) make it work trough ssl but would have to 'see' the request/response
> 'in clear'

Hi Stojce,

If the proxy proxy is intended to transparently tunnel client SSL
connections, the proxy will not be able to 'see' the content of
requests. If, however, the clients connect to the proxy using plain
HTTP, the proxy will be able to see the message content.

> If I use 'NHttpServer.java' of 'module-nio' as a starting point and
> modify the 'service' method to proxy the request to the destination, do
> you think is a right direction ?
> Is it possible to implement also ssl part this way so that for proxy is
> transparent ?

HttpCore NIO presently does not support SSL. I am currently in the
process of adding SSL support, see HTTPCORE-26 [1].

I would recommend starting with the blocking I/O (HttpCore proper) at
first and move onto HttpCore NIO only if you really find yourself having
to deal with thousands of simultaneous connections.

Hope this helps

Oleg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCORE-26