hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r484777 - in /jakarta/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/src/java/org/apache/http/conn: ./ impl/
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:44:04 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> I am sure there must be a way to specify a charset for the source files
> with Maven. I'll look into that

on second thoughts: do we really want to deal with charsets and character
encodings in our source code? If so, which should it be? ISO-Latin-15?
Unicode in UTF-8? (I don't know a russian codepage as another example :-)
Will we run into conversion problems, from Subversion or our editors?
I haven't yet figured out how to make Emacs load and store UTF-8.

The alternative is to declare the source code US-ASCII, and to use the
standard Java mechanisms (\unnnn) or, for JavaDocs, HTML escapes
(&#xnnn; &uuml;) for special characters.

cheers,
  Roland