hc-dev mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <cowtownco...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: utf8 in the code/comments
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 06:06:36 GMT
--- Roland Weber <http-async@dubioso.net> wrote:
> I'd like to hear some more opinions on this. Does
> anybody know how
> well Subversion handles UTF-8 text files? No
> automatic conversion
> to local codepages on checkout or other unexpected
> surprises?

As far as I understand this is correct: Subversion
does (IMO) the smart thing, and does try to outsmart
its users. Thus, it doesn't try to do automatic
linefeed conversion, for example, and I wouldn't
expect it to try to do encoding changes either.

For what it's worth, I would recommend using Unicode
quoting within Source code strings for any
non-7bit-ascii characters. Comments are bit trickier,
although with Javadoc comments one can use xml/html
character entities (as they are usually rendered to be
viewed using browser).

-+ Tatu +-