hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Wiki: Application Design FAQ
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2006 23:26:45 GMT
On Tue, 2006-12-19 at 13:07 -0500, Julius Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Regarding:
> http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/FrequentlyAskedApplicationDesignQuestions
>
> I just wanted to mention I think the FAQ is gorgeous.
>
> I'm thinking of adding a section on GZIP (request and/or response, but yeah,
> especially response) since that also seems to come up now and again.

Julius,

If you decide to contribute such a section please consider basing it on
HttpCore API, which, unlike HttpClient 3.x, is capable of handling
content transformation completely transparently to the application level
components by using request / response interceptors.

These sample classes demonstrate how GZIP compression / decompression
can be implemented using HttpCore API. The beauty of it is in being able
to introduce new processing logic just by adding a couple of
interceptors without having to modify a single line of application level
code. One may not even need to recompile the application if using an IoC
framework to manage protocol interceptors:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/src/contrib/org/apache/http/contrib/compress/

Cheers

Oleg