hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject The use of @author tag policy revisited
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:18:05 GMT
On Mon, 2006-12-11 at 15:54 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 10/12/06, Ortwin Gl├╝ck <odi@odi.ch> wrote:
> > Roland Weber wrote:
> > > on second thoughts: do we really want to deal with charsets and character
> > > encodings in our source code? If so, which should it be? ISO-Latin-15?
> > > Unicode in UTF-8? (I don't know a russian codepage as another example :-)
> > > Will we run into conversion problems, from Subversion or our editors?
> > > I haven't yet figured out how to make Emacs load and store UTF-8.
> >
> > Roland,
> >
> > Feel free to use the German ASCII replacement in my Name: "Glueck".
> >
> > > The alternative is to declare the source code US-ASCII, and to use the
> > > standard Java mechanisms (\unnnn) or, for JavaDocs, HTML escapes
> > > (&#xnnn; &uuml;) for special characters.
> >

> BTW, there has been some discussion as to whether the @author tags
> should be present in ASF code at all; not sure that it was decided
> finally either way...
>
> S.

Hi Sebastian,

I personally do not fully agree with the arguments frequently given as
the rationale for not using @author tags. As far as I know there is no
official policy regarding the use of @author tags, so it is ultimately
up to individual projects to decide.

The issue was discussed before on this list and the outcome was to keep
@author tags but to require all new contributors who wish to have
authorship attribution in the source code to have a CLA on file. (1)
This ensures contributors may not claim copyright based on the fact they
are mentioned as co-authors of some components in an ASF owned project.
(2) The hassle of having to go though the trouble of filing a CLA should
also act as a rather significant discouragement for those folks who may
otherwise be tempted to ask for an @author entry based on submission of
a one-liner fix.

Folks, does this agreement still hold? Is it time we revisited the
decision?

Oleg