hc-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] HttpCore is (pretty much) feature complete
Date Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:31:40 GMT
On 23/11/06, Roland Weber <http-async@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> we are still missing runtime support for determining the
> versions of (all) HttpComponents in the JVM. No matter
> what kind of versioning we're going to use for a yet to be
> discussed all-in-one delivery or not, we can't give support
> in the long run without a simple way for users to send us
> a full list of the components and versions. I see the
> foundation of this mechanism as part of HttpCore, with
> some properties file in each of our distributed JARs.

The properties file could include a version number auto-generated from
the SVN revision.
You would need to ensure that it was updated just before a release,
e.g. with a "normal" version number.

Another possibility would be to include a field or method in each java
source file to return the SVN revision. There would need to be a
method to extract this information and display it to the user (or
write a file), and it could produce a lot of detail.

Just a thought.

We use this technique in JMeter for some files that need to be kept in
step with each other, although the revisions are only used for the
JUnit tests, not for identifying JMeter itself.

S.