hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Tumidajewicz, Przemyslaw" <przemyslaw.tumidajew...@desy.de>
Subject Re: [HTTPClient 3.0.1] Bug: Multipart posts with files named using UTF-8 characters
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 13:15:09 GMT
Hello Ortwin,

 > I haven't tried myself. What happens when you send the form blow with
 > a browser? Does it set the Content-Encoding header of the HTTP message
 > to UTF-8? Because the server must have a way to know in which encoding
 > to interprete the MIME header if it's not the default ASCII.

Browsers I've checked (IE6, Firefox 1.5, Opera 7.54) are not sending a
Content-Encoding header. IE6 and Firefox encode the filename properly
and Opera corrupts it by removing all non-ASCII characters.

The request looks like this (from IE6):

POST / HTTP/1.1
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/x-shockwave-flash, application/vnd.ms-excel,
application/vnd.ms-powerpoint, application/msword, */*
Connection: Keep-Alive
Cache-Control: no-cache

-----------------------------7d63a8a70774

bla
bla
bla
-----------------------------7d63a8a70774--

The weird looking filename is my test bunch of special characters
Windows allowed me to use in a filename - and it's in UTF-8 (what might
not be obvious from the listing above).

I guess a Content-Encoding header would appear if I added an appropriate
  META tag in my HTML (I'm only using accept-charset attribute in the
FORM tag currently), but it seems to work without it - FileUpload
interprets this filename properly without any hints on the encoding
(perhaps it's just using UTF-8 as default?).

Hope this helps,
--Przemek