hc-dev mailing list archives

From "Sam Berlin" <sber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions: event-driven non-blocking HTTP transport
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:20:31 GMT
> I think it is pointless to expect a high level protocol handler to be
> able to recover from runtime exceptions and IOException and
> HttpException are the only two types of checked exceptions that can be
> thrown. Anyways, I can live with it either way.

I'm not sure if I interpreted this correctly, but the thread that
manages the selector must be prepared to handle all kinds of
exceptions (Throwables & RuntimeExceptions included), otherwise any
stray error would halt all I/O processing.  I suggest having some kind
of callback to inform the user of an arbitrary exception.  Normally I
would be a staunch advocate for letting any exception propogate as far
up the stack as possible, but when the entire I/O subsystem can be
halted as a result of any error, I think it's worthwhile to disregard
that rule and catch any error.

Sam