hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpCore] NIO extensions: event-driven non-blocking HTTP transport
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 19:32:54 GMT
On Thu, 2006-10-19 at 20:29 +0200, Robert Olofsson wrote:
> Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > The API is
> > filly event driven. There is no need for worker threads at any point of
> > time. All content processing takes place at the I/O reactor thread.
>
> Hmmm, so whom do the dns lookups? or have you found a dns library that
> is nio as well?

Hi Robert,

The I/O reactor works with abstract SocketAddress-es. HttpCore makes no
assumption whether a particular SocketAddress represents a DNS host name
or an IP address. The process of DNS name resolution is out of HttpCore
scope. In practical terms that does mean the I/O thread can be blocked
while a specific DNS name is being resolved. As this problem cannot be
solved without an external dependency, I am personally prepared to live
with this limitation.

> Suns version will call native code that will be very single threaded
> on some systems and have long timeouts on some missing names.
>
> The typos seems to have been fixed already..
>
> One question: is it possible to use requestInput and requestOutput at
> the same time? That is needed to handle pipelined requests in a fast
> and efficent way.
>  From reading the javadoc I would say that it is possible, but just want
> to check.

Absolutely. I/O operations over NHttpConnections can be executed in full duplex.

Oleg