hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [HttpCore] NIO extensions: non-blocking client side transport
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2006 15:31:04 GMT
Folks,

I did some hacking on the HttpCore NIO lately and added some more
features to the default I/O reactor. Now one can use the same I/O
reactor to listen on multiple ports for incoming connections and
simultaneously initiate opening of an arbitrary number of non-blocking
outgoing connections.

Here is a code sample that demonstrates the use of the new API on the
client side:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/module-nio/src/examples/org/apache/http/nio/examples/AsyncHttpClient.java

Execution of HTTP requests still requires a worker thread per
connection. This limitation I intend to tackle next. The plan is to
provide an HTTP protocol layer based on the existing HttpCore API that
can handle an arbitrary number of connections with just a handful of
threads. There are several possible implementation strategies to choose
from. If anyone is interested in discussing the options before I get
down to hacking please let me know.

Please do take a look at the new API and let me know what you think. Any
feedback, comments, critique will be hugely appreciated.

Oleg