hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpCore NIO questions
Date Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:11:10 GMT
On Sun, 2006-09-17 at 03:18 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> all my ideas about how to open a socket NIO style have gone down
> when I remembered the [Secure]SocketFactory. NIO socket opening
> is based on a SocketChannel and unconnected sockets. But the
> SocketFactory returns a Socket, and core-main is JDK 1.3 compatible
> while unconnected sockets were not introduced until JDK 1.4.
> I am giving up on suggesting anything here.

To make matters even worse we have the following feature request to take
care of:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-475

This is yet another reason why I think there is no way around having a
HttpClient specific HTTP connection and connection management interfaces
and another motivating factor for me to reduce the connection management
code in HttpCore to an absolute minimum.

SocketFactory in HttpCore is very likely to be my next victim.

Oleg