hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r434476
Date Fri, 25 Aug 2006 14:02:02 GMT
Hi Ryan,

> To whomever it may concern,
>
> If you use an cool little IDE like Eclipse, they have excellent code
> formatting in 3.2 version making the nuances of code formatting
> completely trivial, you can configure pretty much any aspect of
> formatting code.

I have stated my view on IDEs on other occasions. I think they are
way less cool than you think they are. My Emacs is perfectly capable
of indenting code, and that's all I want it to do. What I heard about
automatic formatting of Eclipse based tools is that they have problems
with fully qualified classnames at the line end:

                                ... x instanceof fully.
                                                 qualified.
                                                 series.
                                                 of.
                                                 packages.
                                                 before.
                                                 ClassName)...

> Ever since this invention, i no longer spend even more than 2 seconds on
> code formatting issues.  I just right click> src > format and it does
> the whole code tree.  I usually do a src format once a month to clean
> out the cobwebs.

If that's good enough for you. I expect code to be readable whenever
I look at it, whether it's during development or when looking up
something because of a user question. I've taught Emacs my preferred
indenting style years ago. I had to adjust indentation for HttpClient,
since we're using a different style here. But I sure won't swap my
editor which has served my well since 15 years for an IDE.

The main reason why I loathe IDEs - besides them not integrating Emacs -
is that I have observed too much sloppiness about those things that
the IDE makes seemingly easy. Indentation is just one example, build
process another. Studying of documentation vs. automatic expansion of
method names; generating bad code because it's so easy to refactor
later (which hardly anyone actually does)... don't get me started! ;-)

You know something's wrong with your development process when code
is exchanged between developers by copying full projects using a
USB stick instead of checking files in and out of a source code
repository. Oh how they were jealous about my 512 MB stick, while
they had 64 MB sticks on which only a single project would fit.

cheers,
  Roland