hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project Activity
Date Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:05:38 GMT
On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 19:39 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> in case you're not subscribed to the general mailing list,
> Henri Yandell has posted some statistics about Jakarta project
> activity there:
>
> > Mail: (Aug 19 data)
> >
> > (includes commits, wiki, jira, bugzilla noise)
> >
> > 9486 - jakarta-commons-dev
> > 3140 - jakarta-jmeter-user
> > 2459 - jakarta-commons-user
> > 1788 - jakarta-jmeter-dev
> > 1512 - jakarta-httpclient-dev
> > 1082 - jakarta-httpclient-user
> > 901 - jakarta-poi-user
> > 868 - jakarta-general
> > 802 - jakarta-velocity-user
> > 739 - jakarta-poi-dev
> > 672 - jakarta-velocity-dev
> > 580 - jakarta-slide-user
> > 355 - jakarta-turbine-user
> > 308 - jakarta-jcs-users
> > 288 - jakarta-httpclient-commits
> > [snip]
> >
> > SVN (Aug 11 data)
> >
> > 2273 - commons
> > 747 - jmeter
> > 282 - httpcomponents
> > 159 - poi
> > 129 - site
> > [snip]
>
> We're the third most active project in Jakarta behind commons
> and JMeter. And we have only one and a half coding committers.
> That tells a lot about how much effort Oleg is putting into
> this project. Thanks, Oleg! Hipp hipp hooray! x3

Small thing. Do not even mention. Number of commits is not very
representative of one's contribution to a project and generally is not a
very reliable measure of a project's health.

I also do not see a _fundamental_ problem with only a few folks actively
hacking and committing code, provided there is a sufficient number of
people conducting more or less regular reviews of what gets committed.
As far as I know most of the JMeter commits also come form just one
committer, but the project is doing fine nonetheless, because there is a
healthy number of regular contributors and reviewers, which ensures the
negative feedback loop is in place. What I find very alarming is that we
do not have even a _single_ regular contributor to the project, who may
potentially aspire to become a committer. All my feeble attempts at
bringing people on board to help us maintain stable HttpClient 3.x code
base, thus enabling them to get gradually involved with HttpCompopnents,
failed miserably.

> But it also raises some concerns about the health of this
> project. I hope that we can deliver a fully functional release
> of HttpComponents eventually, and that more developers join
> after that.
> Until I see that happening, I will be in favor of changes that
> have a prospect of bringing more people on board. In particular
> Henri's suggestion of joining some developer mailing lists.
> I'm not sure how well we fit with Taglibs and Velocity, which
> is what he suggested, but I like the general idea of merging
> some subcommunities.

I am not sure that is going to help much. My only hope is that more
people will become interested once the first alpha of HttpClient 4.0
becomes available.

Oleg