hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject [HttpComponents] build-common.xml
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2006 08:13:00 GMT
Folks,

I am a big fan of Ant 1.6 feature that enables multiple modules to share
common build tasks. This makes build files of individual modules much
cleaner and less prone to errors. Unfortunately this poses a problem
preventing us from including Ant build files into the source
distribution of HttpComponents modules, as build files are dependent on
a specific location of build-common.xml in the file system.

Secondly, I am about to start changing the SVN structure of HttpCore
module in order to introduce sub-modules, which will also require a
significant rewrite of build-common.xml and will make it even more
complex.

This all leads to believe that we will be much better off with
self-contained build.xml and should do away with build-common.xml. The
inevitable duplication of common tasks in individual build files seems
like a lesser evil to me.

What do you think?

Oleg