hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents] Build Process Questions
Date Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:15:45 GMT
On Sun, 2006-07-23 at 11:59 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since some of the things I plan on doing affect the build process,
> if only to define additional dependencies, I have tried to familiarize
> myself with Maven 2. I must admit that the results were less than
> satisfactory. While there is lots of documentation on the Maven 2 site,
> it doesn't seem like much of it is meant for newcomers. Even choosing
> the mini guides to read by their names requires some basic knowledge
> of Maven terminology.

Welcome to the club of Maven skeptics.

> Specifically for HttpComponents, I have only been able to run Maven in
> the "project/" directory. From there, it seems to access HttpCore and
> HttpAsync. If I run Maven in HttpCore or HttpAsync directly, I get an
> error that the "project" artifact could not be found.
> Is this observation correct? If so, is that a temporary situation or
> is it supposed to be that way? I tried "mvn install" in the project
> directory, but some of the test cases report errors, so Maven cancels.

Do 'mvn install' in HttpCore prior to building HttpAsync. This will
install a snapshot of HttpCore into your local maven repository.

> Another issue I have is the connection between Maven and Ant. The
> Maven documentation tells about an Ant plugin, which allows Ant to
> call Maven. It also tells about using Ant to implement Maven plugins,
> so Maven can call Ant.
> But when looking at our files, I found neither. It seems as if the
> Maven and Ant build processes exist side by side, neither of them
> knowing about the other. The Ant build process has some peculiarities,
> the most annoying one being the dependency of "javadoc" on "compile".
> Some of the structure of the Ant build process could be explained in
> terms of the Maven build process, but it looks like it that has been
> rewritten in Ant.

Ant plugin never worked for me. I was always getting a broken build.xml
and I gave up.

> Once I have a clearer picture of what's going on, I want to compile
> a Wiki page about our build process(es) for HttpComponents.

That would be a very welcome contribution.

Oleg