hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpNIO] MINA and AsyncWeb
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2006 22:17:35 GMT
On Fri, 2006-07-21 at 15:13 -0400, peter royal wrote:
> On Jul 21, 2006, at 4:24 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > MINA may be a good choice for architectures that aim at supporting a
> > wide range of network protocols. As far as HttpComponents are
> > concerned,
> > we are not going to expand the scope of the project beyond HTTP.
> > So, in
> > my opinion, the benefits of having an abstract I/O layer provided by
> > MINA does not outweigh the cost of an extra dependency.
>
> I understand that POV.. Just means that you'll have to do all of the
> NIO plumbing that's required inside of the HttpComponents project
> itself.

Many Jakarta projects are often criticized, in some cases quite
justifiably, for having 'incestial' code inter-dependencies. I strongly
believe that a limited code duplication is a lesser evil than an
excessive number of external libraries. HttpComponents and MINA have
different goals and scope, target different user groups and therefore
should not be coupled directly.

Overall I find the architecture of MINA quite impressive and I would
like to see if some of the MINA code can be borrowed and re-used in
HttpNIO.

> > Moreover, it should be feasible to put HttpCore (and potentially
> > HttpNIO) on top of MINA or any other I/O abstraction layer by
> > providing
> > a custom implementation of the HttpDataReceiver and
> > HttpDataTransmitter
> > interfaces and to re-use higher level protocol logic of
> > HttpComponents.
>
> Certainly. At a minimum, I would hope that we would be able to share
> higher level code like that, and sounds like that's one point we are
> already in agreement on :)

Would there be any interest in a contribution of a simple HTTP server
based on MINA and HttpCore to the MINA project? Alternatively, I could
add such an implementation as an example to HttpCore. At the very least
I would like to make sure that putting HttpCore/HttpNIO on top of MINA
is next to trivial, involve little coding and does not require forking
of either library.

How does that sound?

Oleg