hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: [HttpAsync] http-async in JIRA
Date Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:15:44 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> Both HttpCore and HttpAsync are being developed within the
> HttpComponents project along with other components and I see no reason
> for changing that. The trouble is that Jira requires a separate
> "project" per a versioned artifact.

Thanks for the reminder. I knew there was a reason :-)

> Therefore there is no way around
> creating a new project in Jira for HttpAsync if we want to be able to
> release separately from other components. It is still open for
> discussion whether HttpAsync should have its own release cycle or
> whether it should be released along with HttpClient.

I am strongly in favor of having separate release cycles for
HttpClient and HttpAsync. Here are some reasons:

HttpClient has a more steady development cycle. I'm working
on HttpAsync only in short, intensive bursts every few months.
At least as far as coding is concerned. My job can require
customer related travel on short notice. Since my development
environment is not portable, I can't work on HttpAsync during
the week at such times, and I might need the weekends to take
care of other things. I'd hate to be the reason why a combined
release is late.

I expect HttpClient to reach both alpha and beta stage long
before HttpAsync does. In particular the API freeze with the
beta is an issue here. There is no point in freezing the
HttpAsync API prematurely, nor in delaying the HttpClient
API freeze because of HttpAsync. While the async interfaces may
stabilize quite fast, the API includes more than just those.

I expect HttpAsync to initially be buggier (or less stable).
At the same time, it appeals to a much smaller community.
I don't want to cut a new release for full HttpClient just to
have some bugs fixed or features added for the HttpAsync users.

cheers,
  Roland