hc-dev mailing list archives

From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Asnyc and NIO Components
Date Tue, 09 May 2006 14:21:38 GMT
Hi Sam,

sounds great!

> Unless Oleg
> corrects me to tell me that HttpNIO is planning to do this, I had slotted
> myself to get to this in approximately two.

There is one important word missing :-) weeks? months?

> HttpAsync appears very well suited to the task, except I spotted a few
> things that might have been better using delegation as opposed to
> inheritence, and the need to separate out the creation & connection of a
> socket, as well as the need for a callback when a socket connects.

HttpAsync is in a very early stage. It reflects my attempt to understand
the problem from a purely blocking IO perspective. If you feel that some
operations should be factored out, feel free to submit patches. Or, when
I'm back to coding, suggestions for patches. The SimpleXXX classes are a
testbed for code that might be spun off into extra classes once the need
for that has been identified.
Our interface to creating and connecting sockets is HttpConnection. It is
obvious that we need an extended or alternate interface for NIO. That's
one of the reasons why I'm taking a "wait and see" stance regarding NIO.
Any help in this area (or others) will be welcome.

Once I've got some design documentation on the HttpAsync interface and
initial blocking implementation, I suggest you add a section on the
design for a non-blocking implementation.

cheers,
  Roland