hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject NTLM auth scheme based on JCIFS. Any takers?
Date Mon, 08 May 2006 11:05:05 GMT
Folks,

Probably we are already helplessly late with that, but I'll throw this
one in to see how everyone reacts.

Initially I felt we should not participate in Summer of Code because
still had not released the previous contribution sponsored by Google
(Cookie2). With the Cookie2 code finally having landed in the trunk I no
longer have a bad conscious about it and am pretty determined to see
HttpClient 3.1 APLHPA 1 released in June

Secondly, according to Henri, a decision on allowing Apache code to link
with (or import functionality of) LGPL libraries is imminent. That
leaves us with an option to deprecate our own NTLM code which has been
long unmaintained and replace it with an implementation based on JCIFS.

That would be a fairly self-contained unit of work without any
dependencies on other activities going on in the project and it seems
ideal for SoC.

How do you feel about it? It is something worth spending 5,000USD of
Google's money on? Would anyone be willing to co-mentor it with me?
Alternatively, would anyone be willing on work on something like that
_outside_ the SoC programme (that means no 4,500USD reward involved)?

Oleg

[1] http://jcifs.samba.org/src/docs/ntlmhttpauth.html