hc-dev mailing list archives

From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents] HttpCore 4.0-alpha1 bin and src assemblies
Date Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:31:11 GMT
On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 17:59 +0200, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> 1) I get a tar error for both .tar.gz archives:
>
>    tar: A lone zero block at 8486     (bin)
>    tar: A lone zero block at 9725     (src)
>
>    I can extract the files, the error appears only at the end.
>    My tar version is "tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1" on Gentoo/x86.

Works for me. Same tar version (tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1 on Ubuntu 5.10).

> 2) I have no problem with the source distribution containing
>    everything from the binary distribution. If size should
>    ever become a problem, we can still switch to source-only
>    and tell folks to download both to get everything.

Taken care of.

> 3) Are we free to choose the artifact names/IDs? I would prefer
>    "jakarta-http-core" instead of "jakarta-httpcore". Of course
>    that is only because "jakarta-httpcomponents-core" is really
>    too long. But I think the common prefix for our components
>    should end with a separator char.

I believe we are. The problem is jakarta-http was the cause of a big
(and rather unpleasant) dispute with some Tomcat developers. We should
avoid using it in order to co-exist peacefully with the Tomcat
community.

I would very much rather prefer jakarta-httpcomponents-core but it is
just way too long. Just imagine having this on your classpath

jakarta-httpcomponents-this-4.0-alpha1-SNAPSHOT.jar:jakarta-httpcomponents-that-4.0-alpha1-SNAPSHOT.jar

> 4) Is the location of the JAR file in the archives required by
>    Maven or convention? I would have put it in a subdirectory
>    "lib/" or "jar/" to reserve the top level directory for the
>    necessary bla-bla files, and to avoid a really long filename
>    in the top level directory. The output from "ls" is easier
>    to read without long filenames.

Sounds reasonable. I'll make this change if no one objects

Oleg