hc-dev mailing list archives

From Ortwin Gl├╝ck <...@odi.ch>
Subject Re: [HttpComponents][HttpCore] EntityGenerator and EntityWriter interfaces revisited
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2006 23:20:37 GMT

Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> * Default entity serializer impl changed to rely on message headers when
> serializing an entity instead of the HttpEntity properties which may be
> inconsistent with the Content-Length and Transfer-Encoding headers
> contained in the message.

This may be a naive question. But why can't we make them consistent?

 > This way, the content entity is always
> guaranteed to be correctly serialized. The message headers are expected
> to be set up by the protocol interceptors. This comes at the cost of a
> small performance hit, as the EntitySerializer now has to parse HTTP
> headers contained in the message. I believe it is the price worth
> paying. Faster but less bullet-proof implementations are easily possible

IMHO this design inhibits reuse a bit. What if I would like to use the
entity serializer outside the context of a message?

> * It is no longer necessary to have client-side and server-side impls of
> the EntitySerializer interface

That is a big achievement! And it feels very right.

> * Overall, things got simpler and cleaner

Sounds good.

> * More test cases. The test coverage is already at 65%, which is not too
> bad, and I plan to bring it to 80% in the coming days

Are these Clover figures?

> Please review the changes.
>
> As far as I am concerned this is the last item that I wanted fixed
> before ALPHA-1. I intend to call a formal vote on the HttpCore ALPHA-1
> release sometime next week, provided no release blockers are found

Wow - big effort, Oleg! You were not at work today? :-)